[Scons-users] Question about splitting debug information

Jason Kenny dragon512 at live.com
Wed Oct 24 13:17:01 EDT 2018

Just a note on my personal experience with RPMs. ( might be useful or might not..)
In Parts I making a new drop with a number of fixes to the RPM builders it provides. The rpmbuild program on fedora and rhel/centos will make a .debug  package for you unless you turn it off. I found that it does not like the build to a preemptive split of debug info. So for me, I turn off this feature when making RPMs. The other quirk I have seen with centos\rhel systems is when using devtools7 for the compiler. The binaries rpm split debug info feature seems to break with some binary difference with gcc 7 vs older versions of gcc. At least for Parts I have not done the clean up needed to allow scons to understand that a debug package would be made as well and to make sure the binaries are in a good state for rpmbuild to split the debug info out. I currently just turning the feature off in the spec file to get around this issue.
Jason