[Scons-users] using variant_dir but strip out the variant_dir from source files

Hua Yanghao huayanghao at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 15:55:34 EDT 2018

Dear Scons User,
I am having maybe an odd request. The background is there are some
compilers out there produces all kinds of output in your current
directory which you do not have control. I wanted to combine the
variant_dir feature plus the chdir kw arguments to builders, to be
able to invoke those compilers directly inside the variant_dir. And I
still want to keep the source duplication in the variant_dir as it
will be a snapshot of only the used files for a particular built out
of thousands of irrelevant files. As a side effect now the source
files are all prefixed with the variant_dir which becomes "invalid"
because the compiler is already invoked in the variant_dir instead of
the top level directory.

Is there a way (e.g. a special env variable) already that when I write
my builders instead of "$COMPILER $SOURCE", I can use something like
"$COMPILER $ORIGINAL_SOURCE"? Or do I have to wrap around the
$COMPILER with another command such that I can do things like
"$COMPILER_WRAPPED $VARIANT_DIR $SOURCE"? I know the second one
definitely can work but wondering if there are better ways already in
scons.

Best Regards,
Yanghao