[Scons-users] [Scons-dev] Feedback on issue creation template

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Mar 20 17:08:05 EDT 2018

oh, fooey, my client remembered a different sender address, one that
isn't on the list.

(admin: just toss the other message)

> On 03/20/2018 02:46 PM, Bill Deegan wrote:
>> Gary,
>>
>> Updated per your comments.
>>
>> -Bill

<opinion-based-content>

I'll just add so it's been said: asking for more details may or may not
make a better bugreport. What is does do is increase the barrier to
getting the issue filed in the first place (illustration: a project I'm
on has a Jira tracker instance that has a number of mandatory questions
that are really useful if the bug were being reported against a
malfunction of distributed binaries, such as OS/Version combination,
hardware platform, reproducibility %, etc., but at this stage there is
no binary distribution so the vast majority of bugs are actually filed
against the sources; thus the "fill in all mandatory fields" requirement
just becomes an irritant). Bug triage can always ask for clarification,
if I'm a project maintainer I just want to get stuff captured. note how
many projects are now starting to auto-file bugs - with user consent up
front, of course :) - when something goes wrong, even if it means many
many duplicate instances being filed.

</opinion-based-content>