[Scons-users] integrating scons with other (non-scons) projects

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Jun 8 12:26:23 EDT 2018

On 06/08/2018 10:18 AM, Managan, Rob via Scons-users wrote:
> I just wanted to point out this tool which can be used to maintain scripts to install libraries for multiple compilers and multiple sets of compile options (debug, different MPI,…)
>
> I presume you can use a python script to fire this off for the required libraries…
>
> https://computation.llnl.gov/projects/spack-hpc-package-manager
>

> *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
> Rob Managan
> WCI/DP Division  LLNL

Sounds nice, until I get to here:

"Spack uses RPATH linking so that each package knows where to find its
dependencies."

rpath usage gets into trouble in the difference between develop and
deploy - I may have the built libraries in a build area when I'm testing
code, and that's going to be the wrong place for a deploy scenario where
the libraries should be in standard places (y'know, /lib, /opt/lib,
etc). and vice versa: if I'm testing new versions of libs, I don't want
the rpaths pointing to standard locations because then I'm not picking
up the experimental new versions.

And then there's no rpath at all on Windows, so this part of the concept
is pretty much dead in the water for us.