[Scons-users] SCons not looking past first missing dependency to find additional missing dependencies

Don Baldwin donb at qti.qualcomm.com
Wed Feb 28 17:23:01 EST 2018

Hi,

Is there a way to have SCons find and report all of the missing dependencies for a target at once?

We have a build where we're getting an error like the following:

                scons: *** [foo.h] Explicit dependency `foo_1.xml' not found, needed by target `foo.h'.

After we fix this error and rebuild, we get the following:

                scons: *** [foo.h] Explicit dependency `foo_2.xml' not found, needed by target `foo.h'.

We're already specifying -k on the command line, but that doesn't seem to be working.

We're using version 2.0.0.final.0, which I know is pretty old.  We do have the option of moving to 2.5.1, if the behavior is different in that version, but we can't move to 3.x.

One of our guys did some digging, and found the following code in SCons/node/__init__.py:

            for d in self.depends:
                if d.missing():
                    msg = "Explicit dependency `%s' not found, needed by target `%s'."
                    raise SCons.Errors.StopError(msg % (d, self))

We looked in SCons version 2.5.1, and the code there looks identical, so I suspect that has the same behavior.

Thanks,
Don