[Scons-users] Fortran dependency in a higher directory

GUEZ Lionel guez at lmd.ens.fr
Tue Apr 10 11:53:48 EDT 2018

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 10:48:40 -0400
Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com> wrote:

> It's been a LONG time since I've worked with fortran.
> I'm pointing you at the variables listed in the docs for you to
> figure it out yourself.
> I'm not in anyway contradicting what's in the docs..

I am not ignoring what you say: I read the description of all
Fortran variables in the doc (and I read the SCons 3.0.1 user guide
completely down to chapter 15).

I will try to be more precise. It is ambiguous to refer to "module
files". "Module file" could mean a compiled module interface (with
usually a .mod suffix) or it could mean a source Fortran file
containing one or more modules. The compilation system must be able to
search for compiled module interfaces (.mod files) in a set of
directories, without corresponding source files: this happens when a
program uses a Fortran library. And the compilation system must be able
to search for source module files, to be compiled, in another set of
directories, in order to figure out the order of compilation.

Now the documentation on FORTRANPATH says:

"The list of directories that the Fortran compiler will search for
include files and (for some compilers) module files."

I guess that, here, "module files" means compiled module interfaces. So
I would propose that you amend this sentence to:

"The list of directories that the Fortran compiler will search for
include files and (for some compilers) compiled module interfaces
(files with suffix $FORTRANMODSUFFIX)."

Then the documentation on FORTRANPATH says:

"The Fortran implicit dependency scanner will search these directories
for include files (but not module files since they are autogenerated
and, as such, may not actually exist at the time the scan takes place)."

Here I guess that "module files" also means compiled module interfaces.
But there misses the information that the dependency scanner
WILL search these directories for source module files.

Thus, I would propose that you amend this sentence to:

"The Fortran implicit dependency scanner will search these directories
for include files and source module files (but not compiled module
interfaces (files with suffix $FORTRANMODSUFFIX) since they are

--
Lionel GUEZ
Laboratoire de météorologie dynamique