[Scons-users] VS2017 and Python 3

Steve Robinson steven.robinson at motorolasolutions.com
Wed May 17 11:41:06 EDT 2017

Hello,

I see the pull request for VS2017 support, but it looks like more work is
required.  I've also seen the messages about Python 3 compatibility coming
together.  I'm curious if there are plans to have a VS2017 Python 2 release
before moving to Python 3?  I'm trying to plan out the upgrade process for
our build system.

I was at Microsoft Build 2017 and gave feedback to the Visual C++ team that
while the new VS2017 installer is nice, changing the install paths and
removing registry keys that refer to them did not do us any favors in
upgrading to the latest compiler!

Microsoft will be adding a tool to an upcoming update of VS2017 to identify
installer locations:
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2017/04/21/vswhere-is-now-installed-with-visual-studio-2017/
I guess this might help if SCons decides not to support earlier updates.

Anyway, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.  Thanks for all
the hard work.

-Steve