[Scons-users] COM Types Implementation for VS2017 Discovery

Dean Glazeski dnglaze at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 13:42:11 EDT 2017

I hate to start another thread, but I couldn't figure out how to reply to
the existing one.  I was able to create a solution using comtypes library
to query the setup COM APIs and find installations of VS2017.  I put the
code on the original pull request (
https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/pull-requests/425/enable-initial-visual-studio-2017-support/diff#comment-33979158).
If it looks good and pulling in comtypes as a SCons dependency is alright,
I can look at how to integrate it.  I fear it may be somewhat expensive in
terms of startup cost (what with first finding the installation through COM
and then the following execution to figure out the environment through the
vcvarsall.bat), but if you guys think it's reasonable, I can try and get it
implemented over the next day or so.