[Scons-users] Is there a plan to support visual studio 2017 in the next release of Scons?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Jun 28 17:57:25 EDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-06-27 at 03:46 +0000, Napat Parkpien wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My team is migrating to visual studio 2017, but current release of scons
> is not support it.
> Is there a way to support vs2017 in current release?
> Or will it support in the next version?

SCons is a FOSS project with no paid workers. So even if a feature is
important, it relies on volunteers to step up to create pull requests.

An excellent way for other projects wanting new features in SCons is, as you
have done, raise the point on this email list. This may then lead to someone
volunteering to create a pull request, or it may not. In the case of not, it
really requires the proposer to resource creating the pull request ether by
getting someoe internal to do it or by funding someone external to do it.

Clearly this point about SCons and VS2017 is important for SCons, I think
Bill has responded on this. However, that gives us agreement that it is on
the roadmap, but it doesn't neessarily mean it will get done – unless
someone for whom the problem is important steps up and provides a pull
request.

Is there any chance you team can chip in by making VS2017 and SCons
compatible? SCons version 3.0 is in alpha but that makes i an excellent time
to get a puul request in.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder     t:+44 20 7585 2200   voip:sip:
russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road   m:+44 7770 465 077   xmpp:russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK  w: www.russel.org.uk skype:russel_winder