[Scons-users] SCons vs Meson for Python projects

Saša Janiška gour at atmarama.com
Sat Nov 26 06:15:28 EST 2016

Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> writes:

> I'd really like to know where you go (documentation, Internet) when
> you are searching for information like this? If you want to know
> whether a certain toolchain is supported in SCons, either in the core
> or as external Tool, what do you lookup first?

I was looking at the manual
(http://scons.org/doc/production/HTML/scons-user.html) first, then in
the man page (http://scons.org/doc/production/HTML/scons-man.html) since
the manual has warning not to be up-to-date, iow. I was looking whether
the desired tools are supported out-of-the-box in SCons.

Then I looked in SconsToolbox
(https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/wiki/SconsToolbox) since it mentions
it is for “for contributed modules/extensions/scripts”, and there is
nothing.

Should I add that, personally, I prefer having “offline” docs
written in some ’standard’ markup like rst/asciidoc over wikis…

> I'm asking this because our ToolsIndex on the Wiki lists a reST Tool,
> and when searching for "scons asciidoc" I get a hit immediately.

ToolsIndex (https://bitbucket.org/scons/scons/wiki/ToolsIndex) does list
“rest (docutils)” and “sphinx4scons” with the links pointing at the
external repos…[1]

However, I do not see anything listed for Asciidoc.

Searching for “scons asciidoc“ does provide link
(https://github.com/marcecj/scons_asciidoc), but it does not look
well-maintained, considering that these days AsciiDoctor is more widely
used.

Similarly, ToolsIndex also does not list support for Cython, although I
was able to find it here:
https://github.com/cython/cython/blob/master/Tools/site_scons/site_tools/cython.py

Again, something one would like to see listed and/or supported
out-of-the-box…at the end SCons is Python-powered build tool and one
would expect first class support for the needs of Python devs.

> Can we improve our documentation and our website in a way that would
> make these informations easier to find for you? If yes, please make
> concrete suggestions for this.

See above.

> @Russel: Just out of curiosity, what's this thing with "monospaced vs
> proportional" fonts in reSt exactly about? Can you give some pointers
> to a description of the problem? I'm genuinely interested because I
> intend to use reST a lot in the future and might even try to promote
> it at my working place.

As you know, I was considering to use AsciiDoc, but, so far, I’m happy
with reST.

Footnotes:
[1]  I’d be happy seeing more python-project-related tools supported in
the core. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
One who is not disturbed in mind even amidst the threefold
miseries or elated when there is happiness, and who is free