[Scons-users] Asciidoc sample chapter (was Re: Asidoc sample chapter)

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Jan 12 10:42:26 EST 2016

On Mon, 2016-01-11 at 10:56 -0800, Bill Deegan wrote:
> How does the speed of AsciiDoc and AsciiDoctor compare to the
> existing
> docbook toolchain?
> If a python solution is on par with docbook, then that'd be good
> enough for
> me.
> If it's much slower then a ruby based (or any other language based
> for that
> matter) would be worth considering.
>
> All this, of course, presumes that it could be made to produce
> similar docs
> including the scons examples as Dirk has noted in another email
> thread.

ASCIIDoc started as a front end to DocBook/XML so in the minimal case
it removes writing XML and replaces it with the ASCIIDoc markup (which
is much, much nicer). In the minimal case the ASCIIDoc → XML is just a
preprocessor to the current toolchain.

However with ASCIIDoctor using JRuby on JVM, there is a direct PDF and
HTML render possible as well as the XML one.

If I was doing SCons Python 3 port, Me TV rewrite, and ACCU 2016
conference chairing, I would have dived into transforming all the
material.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk