[Scons-users] HOWTO model a test suite using SCons

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Jan 1 12:37:21 EST 2016

Stefan,

On 01.01.2016 17:58, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> [...]
>
> In fact, I'm a little surprised that SCons' dependency graph nodes have
> to be files. Why is that ?

it just *is*. At some point in the design phase it was decided to make SCons file-oriented and not task-oriented.

> Couldn't that be an abstract entity that
> handles its notion of 'up-to-date' and 'remake' polymorphically ?

Possible, I'm currently planning some architectural changes which would make these kind of extensions a lot easier...but it'll take
a while.

> I was
> indeed a bit surprised reading the SCons User's Guide that all the
> examples were based on target *files*, rather than something more generic.
> Is there no way to define a target that doesn't involve touching or
> generating a file ?

Since version 2.4.x we have the Pseudo() target, thanks to Tom Tanner. It may help you...or hurt you. ;)

Regards,