[Scons-users] HOWTO model a test suite using SCons

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Jan 1 11:39:35 EST 2016

Hi Stefan (und ein Frohes Neues Jahr zurück! ;) ),

On 31.12.2015 23:56, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to drive a test suite run with SCons, and I wonder whether
> there already is prior art for this.
> In particular, I'd like to invoke the test suite as a single target,
> such that all the tests contained in it are executed, and at the end a
> summary (number of passed / failed tests, names of failed tests) is
> printed. I'm not quite sure how to achieve this.

there are a ton of testing frameworks out there already, so what makes you think that SCons is better than any of them? In
particular, you have to regard that SCons triggers its actions based on file-based content changes. There is no notion of "build
stages", like a "build stage" separate from a "test stage". I'm mentioning this because most users that try to run tests with SCons,
expect a kind of serial processing where first all targets are build...and then all tests are executed afterwards. This makes sense
of course because the logging would get messed up easily, especially when running things in parallel. You would see schedules like:

   Building target1
   Building target2
   Testing target2
   Building target3