[Scons-users] Need clarifications about --implicit-deps-unchanged

William Blevins wblevins001 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 23:05:43 EST 2016

Inline notes.

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 8:53 PM, Pierre-Luc Boily <pierreluc.boily at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Thanks about --interactive information.  I did not know!  This one is
> really
> a killer.  Honestly, 90% of our work (if not more) is interactive mode.
> Adding completely new modules is really rare.  Anyway, this mode will help
> convince even more people to switch from make to scons.
>
> I guess when adding a new .h file, I need to exit from interactive mode?

Yes. In order to recheck for implicit dependencies, you would need to
restart SCons interactive. It speeds up your process in the same way that
--implicit-deps-unchanged does plus the benefit of keeping your
SConstruct/SConscript loaded into memory.

> Also, I tried SCons.Defaults.DefaultEnvironment(tools = []) and it doesn't
> make any difference.

If you don't need all the tools, it helps. By default SCons includes at
least half a dozen and most people only need 1-2.