[Scons-users] Path expansion with multiple SConscripts

Eric Lunderberg eric.lunderberg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 22:03:53 EST 2016

Bill,

Thank you for the suggestion, and you are correct; I am looking for a bit
more flexibility than there would be with absolute paths.  I have a few
libraries that I tend to use in many projects, pulling them in as git
submodules.  All of the other paths are relative to the SConscript, and so
it is sufficient to point the top-level SConstruct at the library's
SConscript without the library needing to know where it is.  The different
PATH variables are the one exception to this, since relative paths can be
expanded strangely, and the absolute path may be different depending on
where the library is placed.

I've been looking for an excuse to read more of the internals of scons, so
I might see if it would be easy/useful to add a way to automatically expand
relative paths from SConscripts.  I imagine that LIBPATH, FORTRANPATH, etc
would also be able to benefit from it.

Eric