[Scons-users] cache not working as expected for a recompile in another directory

Abt, Johannes johannes.abt at advantest.com
Wed Nov 18 06:15:10 EST 2015

Hi,

> To build on Tom's comment, *if* I remember correctly, a target signature consists of the entire commandline context; thus, A/A.c and B/Ac are different nodes even if the files are equivalent.

In order to check your claim, I built the "helloworld" example (scons documentation) in different directories using "--cache-dir=<shared_dir>". In this trivial example, scons compiled (and linked) only once. It reused the cached objects.

It looks like the build signature ((Is this even the right word for this concept in scons?) is independent from the relative path of the source files. I guess there is something else (settings? variables?).

> If the compile command is the same and the input file is the same, you should really be asking yourself why you have two copies of this file.  Consider making a library or at least a place for shared object files.

The two directories contain different branches of the same project. I should have said so earlier, sorry.

Does anybody know where I can find the code that calculates the "build signatures"?

Regards,

Johannes