[Scons-users] scons and windows

Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) ttanner2 at bloomberg.net
Mon Mar 9 04:21:11 EDT 2015

I started playing around with scons / qt4 on windows at home last week and have a couple of questions / oddities / potential issues

1) There's an env['PDB'] which according to the documentation you set to the name of the pdb file the linker should generate. Given that in the main you'd want it to be the same as the executable / DLL, couldn't you just set it to 'True'?. This'd be a lot of help in the project I'm trying to create an scons replacement build for as I'd just need to set this once in the SConstruct file to generate these for everything, rather than in each SConscript file. My experience with visual C++ 10 is if you link with /DEBUG you get a .pdb file with the expected name, without having to specify anything else to the linker.

2) For reasons that are beyond me, scons appears to be running the linker *twice* when it generates an executable. That is to say the output is along the lines of
using temporary file xxxx for command
link /OUT:thingie.exe <enormous command line>
link /OUT:thingie.exe @xxxx
using temporary file yyyy for command
link /OUT:thingie.exe <enormous command line>
link /OUT:thingie.exe @yyyy
where the entire command line is identical.

Haven't finished the work of adding it yet, but it's already showing benefits. Not the least of which is I can open a subproject by itself, and just build that, which is completely impossible with qmake.