[Scons-users] Scons and ant

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Mar 3 07:21:13 EST 2015

On Tue, 2015-03-03 at 00:24 -0500, William Blevins wrote:
> Owen,
>
> I have a general question though.  Why are you wrapping Ant with
> SCons? What purpose does that serve?  Both Ant and SCons are full
> fledged build tools perfectly capable of building Java on their own,
> though admittedly,
> SCons runs into performance problems on large jars due to the amount
> of smartness it tries to achieve.  Personally, I hate ANT scripts,
> so I will
> take the trade-off any day.  Runaway Jar lib/jar size is a common
> sin in practice anyway.

Anyone still using Ant really should be considering switching to
Gradle pdq.

SCons' play in the pure Java build situation is not that great, and it
cannot play in the mixed Java/Groovy/Scala/Clojure arena nor in the
Kotlin and Ceylon arena. Where SCons still might have a play is in the
"a little bit of Java, lots of C++" area. However Gradle is now
catching up fast on the C++ native code builds and so may be the
preferred choice for mixed Java/C++ builds now.

I have no problem helping people improve the SCons Java support, but
it will be an uphill struggle, and without Groovy support, one
probably not worth fighting. But I have probably said this before.

For the avoidance of doubt: nothing handles LaTeX builds as well as
SCons :-)

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk