[Scons-users] SCons popularity

Viktor Dick viktordick86 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 13:08:08 EDT 2015

On 13.06.2015 18:20, William Blevins wrote:
> All,
>
> I think we should try to address the webpages that Pawel has linked.  The
> Gentoo page is especially troublesome because many of the arguments made
> simply aren't true. Maybe they were valid with old versions, but it is more
> likely that the blog writer didn't understand SCons and just got frustrated.

Hi,
if I understand correctly, debian as well as gentoo are not suggesting
to use plain make instead of scons. Therefore, arguments like "but make
also doesn't have automatic install targets" are not helpful. The point
is, if I download a source tarball for something and extract it, the
first thing I do is 'ls' and if there is a script called 'configure' it
is sort of clear how to proceed and it works most of the time without
additional knowledge. Installing into my home folder istead of
/usr/local because I do not have root permissions is also always done in
the same way - which often helped because I needed some tools on my work
machine where I was not root.
I use SCons for my own projects because of its advantages, but I can
understand that such a predictability is important for package
maintainers and end users. Actually, I have only once downloaded a
source package that used SCons and I could not get it to compile.

On the other hand, once upon a time I tried to learn how to use
autotools for my own project failed - it is actually quite an ugly
system and I guess a scons tool that has a similar purpose but is easier
to use and well documented and standardized such that everyone uses it
when developing for UNIX systems could gain a lot of market here.

Viktor