[Scons-users] Removing object files

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Jul 13 14:33:19 EDT 2015

Christopher,

On 12.07.2015 15:31, Christopher Dimech wrote:
> I have to think about it and try the idea out. It is more complicated
> than having just a single SConstruct. The reason is that the package
> is a muldisciplinary project consisting of a number of sub-projects.
> Each subproject will have its own set of tests (for example 33 tests
> for sub-project vik),

it's well possible that things are more convoluted, but I can only judge from what you actually show us. ;)
And you started the thread with a single SConstruct that didn't seem complicated at all.

Nevertheless, the made statements still hold: All subprojects that you want to manage together, because they have dependencies
regarding libraries or headers that have to get included, should go in *one* top-level SConstruct, such that SCons can see the whole
tree of targets to build.
This doesn't mean that it will build *all* those targets in each run, this is where methods like Alias() and Default() come into
play. They help you to restrict the build targets to your likings, and with it those parts and branches of the implicit dependency
DAG that have to be traversed.

Finally, if you have a lot of projects/subprojects and want to define and manage package dependencies between them (based on version
numbers?), you might want to take a look at Parts (parts.tigris.org).