[Scons-users] Removing object files

Christopher Dimech dimech.christopher at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 09:31:10 EDT 2015

I have to think about it and try the idea out. It is more complicated
than having just a single SConstruct. The reason is that the package
is a muldisciplinary project consisting of a number of sub-projects.
Each subproject will have its own set of tests (for example 33 tests
for sub-project vik),

Currently each test program within a sub-project is built using a
separate .py file. I have the problem that some files would not
compile successfully, but as they would not be needed for a particular
test program, I would not try to compile them unless the test required
using the functionality.

I plan to have a seperate SConstruct for each sub-project. Do you know
of any similar projects so I can get some realistic ideas from? Using
your comments I can try to get all tests in a sub-project in one
SConstruct file so I can build the test program I wish. I am ending up
with a very large number of .py scripts.

On 12 July 2015 at 13:55, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:
> Christopher,
>
> On 12.07.2015 13:11, Christopher Dimech wrote:
>>
>> I am using a separate .py file for a particular test. I need to
>> specify the .py file and then call -c. It does a clean in that
>> directory but does not build the program. Can one specify a clean in
>> the .py script before I rebuild my test program?
>>
>> scons -f sct_membrane_meidum.py -c build/lib/behistun/
>>

> sorry if I still don't understand what you're actually after. If you somehow
> want to "connect" your separate build script sct_membrane_meidum.py to your
> main build (because there are dependencies that you want SCons to see), then
> your best option is to put the test in the same SConstruct for your main
> build. This means effectively getting rid of the additional build script,
> and having just one build tree for everything.
> Then, SCons can correctly pick up all the implicit dependencies from your
> definitions of the single targets and programs, and you can pick which
> target/Alias should get built by specifying it on the command line.
>
> Does this help?
>

> Best regards,
>
> Dirk

Christopher Dimech