[Scons-users] 'MSVS' Environment variable contents

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Wed Feb 11 17:21:19 EST 2015

Hi Andrew,

On 09.02.2015 21:26, Andrew C. Morrow wrote:

> The SCons 2.3.4 docs state:
>
> MSVS
>             When the Microsoft Visual Studio tools are initialized, they set up this dictionary with the following keys:
>
> And then lists several keys, including PLATFORMSDKDIR.
>
> However the documented variables do not actually appear to get set. The string PLATFORMSDKDIR, for instance, appears nowhere in the
> SCons 2.3.4 sources.

that's correct...source and documentation seem to be a little out of sync in this department. I'll open an issue ticket...

> Is the documentation simply incorrect? If so, is there any way in SCons 2.3 to ask the MS tool subsystem for the paths to things
> like MSVC, the SDK, etc.?

I'm not an expert for the VS/VC Tools, but you should be able to read out the selected version from the variables
MSVC_VERSION/MSVS_VERSION in the environment.

The output of the MSVS setup batch files are parsed, and the variables

   INCLUDE, LIB, LIBPATH, PATH

in env['ENV'], should get set according to the used paths.

Does this help?