[Scons-users] Advice sought

Dominic Binks dominic.binks at thebinkles.net
Sun Feb 8 16:23:26 EST 2015

So to be more concrete again :)

We support about 8 or 9 (currently) different embedded platforms which
fall into two camps.  Most are linux based embedded systems and so are
pretty similar to a PC based system.  The others are RTOS based
platforms which are incapable to supporting executables in the general
sense.

The software that runs on these devices does a kind of template
matching.  On the PC side there are tools for generating the template
data.  These tools will only ever run on the PC side.

We have a message specification similar to IDL or protocol buffers but
lighter weight and sufficient for our relatively simple needs.

A python script reads the specification and produces a .c and .h for the
serialization/deserialization routines for the messages.

There is also a hardware abstraction layer to deal with variations
between the platforms (windows, linux and RTOS platforms).  This is
predominantly used in builds that go to the embedded devices.  Because
the serialization/deserialization code goes to the embedded platforms we
use it there which also means that some host code also needs to use as
even though it doesn't strictly need it.

The serialization code provides a mechanism for tools on the PC side to
talk to the embedded device and extract information and change what it
does etc.

So we have the following bits of code that need to be compiled:

- platform abstraction layer - needs to be compiled for PC and embedded
platforms to run on both
- message serialization code - needs to be compiled for PC and embedded
platforms to run on both
- template matching code - needs to be compiled for embedded platforms
only to run on embedded only
- template generation code - needs to be compiled for host platforms
only to run on PC only
- test tools and code - currently compiled only for host, but could be
target as well for platforms that are capable of supporting it.

While the sources are fairly separate they are not completely separated
and it would be less clear to separate them out.

Hope this helps to understand what I'm trying to achieve.

Dominic