[Scons-users] Bug causing corruption of .sconsign.dblite

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Wed Aug 26 00:47:32 EDT 2015

Andrew,

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 12:54 PM, Andrew C. Morrow <
andrew.c.morrow at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dirk, Bill, William -
>
> Thanks for providing a great deal more context. I certainly understand
> the need to prioritize features over bugs that have workarounds, and
> it appears that I misconstrued the intent of William's earlier email,
> so, apologies for that.
>
> Part of my frustration was that I actually agree with your assessment
> that fixing this issue is perhaps very challenging. It did not seem
> like something that would be reasonably tackled by anyone outside of
> the core group of SCons developers, and I'm not one of those.
>
> As to the impact of the bug, using the MD5-Timestamp provider and
> CacheDir each has substantial cost savings for us in terms of
> incremental build times, so we do rely on them for developer
> productivity. Being unable to use them together is really unfortunate.
> While I appreciate Bill's point that spurious rebuilds of files is
> 'harmless' in a technical sense, a single spuriously recompiled
> translation unit early in the graph can cause a substantial amount of
> follow-on work, in particular, very expensive re-links.

Perhaps better to describe this bug as not harmless, but not producing an
incorrect build.
Understood that the downstream results of the bug can be non-trivial amount
of wasted compute and CPU.

> Finally, I'd actually be personally happy to help the SCons project
> more with development, but my work commitments don't realistically
> allow it. As you note, MongoDB is heavily dependent on SCons, and we
> have a number of changes that we would like to see. As I'm sure is
> unsurprising though, we have our development priorities too. We
> actually have had some internal discussion recently about whether
> MongoDB might sponsor some SCons development work on features or fixes
> that are important to us. Would there be any interest from the core
> developers?

Indeed yes.
I do have a consulting business and bugfixing for open source projects is a
non-trivial part thereof.
Feel free to contact me off list.  Note that I'm currently bouncing back
and forth between NYC and SF.
Indeed mongo's NYC office is 3 blocks from our NYC apartment.

-Bill