[Scons-users] Use absolute paths to projects in MSVSSolution

Albert Gil albert.gil at happycomputing.cat
Sat Aug 22 06:34:01 EDT 2015

Hi,

We've the following scenario:

We've a scons project in a C:\ dirve and a third-party project installed in
a D:\ drive.
As our project does reference to it, we want to also include it in a
solution that contains the projects of our libs and apps, and this (or
these) third-party projects. Just for convenience.

The problem is that scons is forcing to use relative paths between the
solution created with MSVSSolution and its projects, and in a Windows
environment theres is no such a relative paths between directories on
diferent drives... (shame on windows? ;-)

Anyway, I've been hacking around and I've tested that with little changes
in the GenerateProjectFilesInfo function we can avoid forcing the projects
file to be relative, and everything just works also fine with absolute.

Propably, the best solution is to add some flag to mark projects relatives
or not to the solution... but I haven't patched so far...

Do you think that it can or should be implemented?

The simpler solution to make all the projects paths/files absolute in the
MSVSSolution just works.
But I'm not sure if it could leed to other problems for people who relay on
relative paths for other actions?

Thanks for such a good tool!

Albert

PD: I know this is a minor feature, it is non-blocking at all and that we
can do several workarounds to avoid this limitation/scenario... as I said,
we use it just for convenience. But anyway, it IS a scons limitation (due a
windows weaknes) that CAN be improved, right? ;-) We are trying to convence
windows developers to move to scons... and these litle-issues make them to
move to the "no"...? ;-))

--
Albert Gil
HappyComputing <http://happycomputing.cat/>