[Scons-users] skip_tools in Environment?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Wed Aug 5 16:19:13 EDT 2015

WRT new toolchain, I think I'll have time to work more on this come
September.  I'd like to get it to a real, testable state but first the core
architecture needs review and more work, and then porting of tools begins
(which will of course point out flaws in the toolchain arch).  So yeah,
it's not going to be quick even once I have some serious hours to devote.

As a reminder, what I have so far is at
https://bitbucket.org/garyo/scons-newtool.

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>
wrote:

> Dirk,
>
> I agree, but I'm guessing I could knock out a tool black list in an
> afternoon including tests and documentations, and the new toolchain logic
> is still a work in progress.
>
> We have slots, and the cross-language scanner logic queued up to get to
> default and then released as well. I'm guessing new toolchain logic would
> be a major release and should wait until (at least) after slots, if not
> also after the scanner logic.
>
> I was just trading emails on the list with the guy about aix and gcc, and
> the thought of black list and it's simplicity to implement and roll out
> came to mind..
>
> -Bill
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Bill,
>>
>> On 05.08.2015 21:26, Bill Deegan wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Currently SCons has a default list of tools for each platform.
>>> To alter that you need to specify the full list of tools you want.
>>>
>>> How about adding an additional flag to Environment() which would specify
>>> a list of tools to skip?
>>>
>>> That way if you had (for example) aix's native compiler installled and
>>> gcc, then you could just list aixcc, aixc++, aixlink, aixf77
>>> as the list of tools to never use?
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>

>> my immediate thought is: "Let's not start with shotgun surgery, but
>> rather drive the design and implementation of the new toolchain approach
>> forward."
>>
>> Dirk

Gary