[Scons-users] Running env.Execute in parallel?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Sep 29 14:50:02 EDT 2014

Hi Arvid,

On 29.09.2014 10:43, Arvid Rosén wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a large build which ends up with a Mac bundle which needs to be manipulated into several different versions. Handling dependencies turned out to be tricky, so I just execute a python function using env.Command(), and this function uses env.Execute() to call external tools.
>
> This process takes some time and would benefit from parallel processing, so my question: Can I use env.Execute() in parallel in some SCons-friendly manner, ideally respecting the num_jobs flag?
as far as I know, there is no parallel processing done while reading the
SConstructs/SConscripts (=Execute() of your commands). So your best bet
for decently parallelising things is to:

- wrap your commands up into a Tool/Builder (see
http://www.scons.org/wiki/ToolsForFools ),
- get your dependencies right, and
- let SCons handle the rest. ;)

If you need help with one of the above steps, let us know please.