[Scons-users] Debugging SCons files as Python scripts

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun Sep 7 06:29:10 EDT 2014

Hi Tony,

On 07.09.2014 12:18, Tony Whitley wrote:
> I'm working with an SCons design that is sufficiently complex to
> require debugging of the scripts themselves. I have been using print
> commands to debug the scripts which is slow and painful.  I have
> finally got round to hacking a Python script that simulates parts of
> SCons so that I can run my SCons files as Python scripts in a
> Python IDE with all the benefits of tracing the flow, watching
> variables and so on.  It doesn't do any of the "real" stuff like
> building files, it's a kind-of meta-SCons that just produces the
> information that the SCons engine will consume when it builds files.
>  I wondered how others test their SCons scripts, whether I've just
> re-invented the wheel?  It seems to me this is a valuable benefit of
> SCons being based on a widely-used language.
>
> It also allows for writing unit tests. I have just dipped a toe into
> that but it looks promising.

this sounds very interesting indeed. So far, I debugged my scripts by
stepping through the build with a debugger (Eclipse+pydev)...or by
"print" statements in the more simple cases. I don't know of any similar
SConstruct parser out there, so let's hear more about your solution. ;)

Is there a repo somewhere? Then I'd take a look...