[Scons-users] Debugging SCons files as Python scripts

Tony Whitley tony_whitley at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 7 06:18:10 EDT 2014

I'm working with an SCons design that is sufficiently complex to require
debugging of the scripts themselves. I have been using print commands to
debug the scripts which is slow and painful.  I have finally got round to
hacking a Python script that simulates parts of SCons so that I can run my
SCons files as Python scripts in a Python IDE with all the benefits of
tracing the flow, watching variables and so on.  It doesn't do any of the
"real" stuff like building files, it's a kind-of meta-SCons that just
produces the information that the SCons engine will consume when it builds
files.  I wondered how others test their SCons scripts, whether I've just
re-invented the wheel?  It seems to me this is a valuable benefit of SCons
being based on a widely-used language.

It also allows for writing unit tests. I have just dipped a toe into that
but it looks promising.

--
Tony Whitley

--