[Scons-users] How to generate and distribute documentation for a custom tool?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat Mar 22 09:09:18 EDT 2014

On 22.03.2014 12:51, Björn Pollex wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, I will consider your advice. For the moment, the

> tools are intended for internal use only. I generally prefer to write

> documentation in the code, and not in separate files, but that does

> not seem to be an option in SCons.

> Are there any plans or ideas to add a standard help or documentation

> mechanism to SCons? Something like:

> env.Help(SomeBuilderName)

Have you tried searching for "env.Help" in the MAN page yet? ;)

> That would return a String with documentation about that builder. Such

> a mechanism could also be made to work with construction variables.

> When importing SCons into an interactive interpreter, this could be

> used as an interactive help system.

> Has this ever been discussed? If there is interest (or at least no

> objections), I could investigate how to build something like this.

> Regards,

> Björn

> P.S.: I tried adding SCons to the PYTHONPATH and importing it, and it

> seems to work (to the extend that this makes sense, for instance for

> inspecting environments). Is this an official feature? Is this

> documented somewhere? It would be interesting to investigate how this

> could be used for interactive build-script development.

Yes, it's an official feature. SCons is designed as build framework, and
the default script is doing not much more than setting PYTHONPATH and
running SCons.Script.Main afterwards. If you need more documentation
about this, you'll probably have to be a little more specific about what
exactly is still unclear to you.

Regards,