[Scons-users] Good example of using scons for packaging, configuration, installing

mulhern mulhern at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 16:18:53 EDT 2014

Hi!

I'm looking for an example where scons is used not just in place of make,
but in place of the entire autotools chain. I checked out scons itself, in
hopes that it would provide an outstanding textbook example of an
sconstruct file.

In particular, I was interested in examples of packaging and possibly
figuring out how the Package() command is implemented for different
packagers in case I wanted to implement such for yet another packager.

Disappointingly, the scons distribution says in the README file:

(It has been pointed out that it's hard to find the SCons API in this
    SConstruct file, and that it looks a lot more like a pure Python script
    than a build configuration file.  That's mainly because all of the
magick
    we have to perform to deal with all of the different packaging formats
    requires a lot of pure Python manipulation.  In other words, don't look
at
    this file for an example of how easy it is to use SCons to build
"normal"
    software.)

Where should I look...assuming I also want to do some packaging?

I rather enjoyed translating an existing Makefile into an SConstruct file,
and I feel that some of the ideas, e.g., MD5 checksumming, shared cache,
deducing what needs to be cleaned, actual Python are really appealing, but
I really need to be able to configure, package, install, as well as just
build.

Thanks!

- mulhern