[Scons-users] scon for windows 64 bit

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun Jul 6 05:12:28 EDT 2014

Hi Ronex,

On 06.07.2014 10:24, Ronex Dicapriyo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed scon in windows using the "setup.py install" command.
> Trying with the scon's installer file it throws an error "no python
> found in the registry", However in my system I have installed
> python-2.7.6 using 64-bit installer file downloaded from python.org.

the SCons installer is created for 32bit machines, so you would have to
install 32bit-Python instead. Would that be an option for you? For a
more detailed discussion about the underlying problems you might want to
have a loot at http://bugs.python.org/issue6792 .

> After this when I tried to build c++ application (HelloWorld), I
> noticed that scons tries to pick 32 bit compiler of msvc.
>
> So, I tried with forcefully providing the location of 64 bit compiler:
> CXX = r'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 10.0\VC\bin\amd64\cl.exe'
>
> But however it doesn't work ?

For the VisualStudio toolchains, the "vcvars.bat" batch files get used
to properly setup not only the paths to the programs, but a lot of other
stuff. If you want to specify a target architecture (32bit vs. 64bit) or
similar, please follow the instructions as given in the UserGuide,
"Appendix A Construction Variables". Search for the keywords HOST_ARCH,
TARGET_ARCH, MSVC_VERSION, MSSDK_VERSION...

Hope this helps you a little further.