[Scons-users] Problems with the Java builder

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Jan 24 15:47:02 EST 2014

On 24.01.2014 17:20, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 7:38 AM, Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON)

> <ttanner2 at bloomberg.net> wrote:

>> An answer would be to look at making scons truss (or use interpose libraries) the command it is executing and parse the outbut for files being created/opened (c.f. http://code.google.com/p/fabricate/)

>> This gives you your input dependencies and your actual generated targets (not just the ones you thought you generated...)

> I think this is a prime area for further research. It could be the

> foundation of a truly next-gen build tool. (I think inotify is

> probably good enough, don't need truss perhaps.) But as you say, even

> if you do that things are still complicated, especially with generated

> source files. Something to think about, though.

But keep in mind that we want SCons to be cross-platform. I recall
reading some doc (or was it a bug report?) about fabricate, where it's
stated that the dependency detection doesn't work correctly under
Windows. They're actually waiting for someone to step up and reimplement
the parts that make this a snap under Linux for Windows...good luck with
that, I say. ;)