[Scons-users] Extracting "-I" paths in a complex tree

Rupert Swarbrick rswarbrick at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 07:40:11 EST 2014

Hi,

I've just started working on a reasonably large C project that uses scons
as its build system. I'm also keen on working in Emacs and would like to
get Semantic/CEDET working. This isn't too difficult, but I need to be able
to work out what the include paths are for a given file.

The "obvious solution" would be to run scons somehow on the tree in a way
that, instead of building the files, printed out CPPPATH etc. for each of
them. Even better, to be able to do that for just the file I'm interested
in. Is this possible?

Alternatively, I suppose I could do something where the relevant flags got
registered in a file somewhere when an actual build happened. Since they're
not going to change very often, I'm not too worried about keeping them up
to date with the current sconscript files.

In either case, it would be awesome if I could "insinuate" this code
without actually changing the main files in the tree: sadly not all of my
co-workers have seen the light re Emacs yet :-)

I hope this isn't an FAQ - I couldn't find anything when searching, but I
struggled to thing of good search terms, so maybe I'm missing something
obvious?

Many thanks,

Rupert