[Scons-users] Use target srcnode path for cache signature

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Dec 19 16:28:18 EST 2014

Hi Mikael,

On 19.12.2014 13:34, Mikael Arvids wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently the target files cached by scons cannot be shared among builds with different variant directories. The reason is that the
> path to the target file is used for signature calculation, and this path includes the variant directory. I am currently monkey
> patching the File class in order to base the target path in the signature to the corresponding path in the source directory instead
> using srcnode(), and also changed the default compiler action to exclude the output file from the signature. Are there any case
> where this would pose a problem or would it be possible to include this change in scons? An alternative would be to include this
> behavior based on an option instead.

I'm wondering how you want to "share" targets, maybe you can give some more information about this? Usually I would use variant
directories to create a different (set of) executable(s). So the targets, like programs and libraries, would differ by design...and
therefore cannot be shared.

This leaves me a bit puzzled at the moment...