[Scons-users] Wiki not working

William Roberts bill.c.roberts at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 14:41:58 EST 2014

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 09.12.2014 19:57, Bill Deegan wrote:
>
>> Dirk,
>>
>> The real problem is that this particular wiki spikes the CPU usage on our
>> free server and if it stays too long too high cpu, they shut it down. Then
>> we need to figure out if it was hacked (again) and if not convince them
>> that it's safe to put back online.
>>
>>  Got that now. Thanks for the additional info.
>
>  The approveChanges is (unfortunately since it would be easier to solve as
>> you suggest) a secondary issue.
>>
>> The options are:
>> a) migrate to other wiki software (which we manage and run on same
>> server, possibly open to the same problem)
>> b) migrate to some other hosted solution (wiki on bitbucket, or other)

FYI The default wiki on bitbucket is limited. The permissions are either
Public (world writeable, world readbale think 0666) or Private (project
members only, 0660). However, if its private, non-project members cannot
even see it. I had this issue with using it and created a secondary site.
Recently, Bitbucket supports Markdown in their README files and you can use
that as a read only source of public information. Github doesn't seem to
have this limitation. I am not sure that if you pay for bitbucket, if one
gets different wiki permissions or capabilities.

>> I'm heavily favoring b, as keeping said software secure and up to date is
>> really a waste of all/any of our time at this point. Better to spend that
>> time on SCons or other infrastructure.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>>  My gut feeling tells me that we'll get hacked either way...but if you
> have some more insight about how alternatives would be more secure, that's
> fine with me. I just didn't want to switch for the only reason of having a
> neglected approval queue, and that was my first impression. Sorry for the
> noise...
>
> Dirk

Respectfully,

William C Roberts