[Scons-users] Implicit cache error after running a successful build

Matias Iturburu matias.iturburu at tallertechnologies.com
Thu Oct 31 09:22:49 EDT 2013

2013/10/31 Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de>

> Hi Matías,

Such emphasis :) . Hi Dirk.

> On 30.10.2013 18:48, Matias Iturburu wrote:

> Hello list.

> I have a Builder to run Astyle (http://astyle.sourceforge.net/) to my

> builds.

> Thing is recently I've started getting this message when I try running it:

> [...]

> ipdb> n

> scons: *** [biopp:astyle] Implicit dependency

> `projects/biopp/bio_molecular.H' not found, needed by target `biopp:astyle'.

> Which is relevant as the offending file (*projects/biopp/bio_molecular.H*)

> exists in my source but with the appropriate lowercase *h *and after

> following the traceback I don't see where the path gets mangled.

> So my question is: What is this "implicit dependency" thing, how it

> works and how do I get it to tell me what is happening with my files?

> "implicit dependency" means that SCons has scanned the source files for

> your "astyle" target(s) and detected that one of them includes the header

> file "bio_molecular.H". If you want to get rid of this error, you should

> search though your sources for the offending line and correct it to

> "bio_molecular.h" (with lower capital "h").

That was the first thing that came to mind. But there isn't any occurrence
of bio_molecular.H with uppercase H in my source files:

biopp/$ grep -R bio_molecular.H *
biopp/$ grep -R "bio_molecular\.H" *
biopp/$ grep -R "bio_molecular\.h" *
biopp/bio_molecular/exceptions.h: bio_molecular.h: Molecular Biology ++
Header file.
biopp/bio_molecular/bio_molecular.h: bio_molecular.h: Molecular Biology
++ Header file.
biopp/bio_molecular/definitions.h: bio_molecular.h: Molecular Biology ++
Header file.
biopp/biopp.h: #include "biopp/bio_molecular/bio_molecular.h"
tools/generate_graph.cpp:#include "biopp/bio_molecular/bio_molecular.h"

I'm not saying that the issue is with scons proper, I'm sure I'm messing
something somewhere. But I need to understand where this process (the
implicit dependency search) is taking place so I can trace where the file
name is getting mangled.
It puzzles me that the astyle subprocess is being run and the "error" is
rising afterwards.

> Best regards,

> Dirk

<http://www.tallertechnologies.com>
Matías Iturburu
Software Engineer

*San Lorenzo 47, 3rd Floor, Office 5
Córdoba, Argentina

*
*Phone: +54 351 4217888 / +54 351 4218211
Skype: matias.iturburu*