[Scons-users] Fwd: More than one source directory for a single variant directory

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Oct 25 15:14:53 EDT 2013

Brady,

On 25.10.2013 19:35, Brady Johnson wrote:

> Dirk,

> I was looking into this too, but dont have the code at home. Im

> curious to know why you cant have two source directory builds placed

> in the same variant_dir.

this isn't supported by the internal data structures. By defining a
VariantDir, you're creating an internal link between the source dir and
the variant folder. Each Node (File or Dir) has only one "srcdir" entry,
so several variant dirs can have the same source folder...but it's not
possible the other way around.

I can only guess why this design was selected, but allowing more than
one source folder would easily lead to problems when you have a
subfolder with the same name. Let's say an "prog_a" folder would be
present in "proj1" and "proj2", when both point to the same VariantDir.
How would you resolve this ambiguity?

Regards,