[Scons-users] Newbie question

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Nov 4 12:15:49 EST 2013

Hi Roger,

On 04.11.2013 12:53, Roger Day wrote:

> Newbie question

> Hi,

> I'm having difficulty trying to the following:

> 1. Checkout a file

> 2. Install file

> 2. Modify the installed file

> 3. Over-ride the installed file with the previously checked out file.

> I've read that SCONS uses MD5 checksums, but I can't get the

> subsequent installed file to be overwritten with the original file. Is

> there any way I can force this?

SCons isn't a VCS, and it tracks dependencies for a target based on MD5
checksums of its sources as default. This doesn't include the target
itself. After SCons successfully created a target (the installed file in
your case) it assumes that this file is up-to-date until:

a) it doesn't exist anymore, or
b) one of its source files changed its content/timestamp.

If you manually change a target after the actual build, SCons won't
detect this. It always assumes to have full control over the build.

Can't you simply checkout the file in question to the "install" location?