[Scons-users] tutorial

Dirk Baechle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun May 19 06:25:52 EDT 2013

Hi,

and thanks for using SCons. We are always happy to hear about new users
and appreciate your feedback a lot.
Further comments follow below....

Am 19.05.2013 04:30, schrieb Jitterman:

> All,

> I am trying to learn to use Scons for the first time, but I am not using it

> for C or for Java. I am finding the existing documentation a bit frustrating

> because it all seems to assume that you are using some language such as C for

> which Scons already has built in support. Thus, the examples are very terse

> (just put "Program('hello.c')" in your Sconstruct file and run scons, and viola,

> you are done). This of course assumes that Scons already has all the rules it

> needs to build the program.

We try to provide as much support as possible for keeping SCons
"batteries provided", but we can't keep up with all the different build
processes. That's why the core development and the User guide
concentrate on the more often used Tools, like C/C++.

> What I need to a tutorial for how to build a program where it is not assumed

> that Scons already has all the rules it needs because I would like to understand

> how to add those rules.

You might want to take a look at

http://www.scons.org/wiki/ToolsForFools

then. Apart from the UserGuide, SCons' MAN page and the Wiki are very
valuable resources for trying to understand and master this fine build
system.
And if you get stuck, continue to ask your questions on this user
mailing list. ;)