[Scons-users] tutorial

Jitterman scons at shalmirane.com
Sat May 18 22:30:05 EDT 2013

All,
I am trying to learn to use Scons for the first time, but I am not using it
for C or for Java. I am finding the existing documentation a bit frustrating
because it all seems to assume that you are using some language such as C for
which Scons already has built in support. Thus, the examples are very terse
(just put "Program('hello.c')" in your Sconstruct file and run scons, and viola,
you are done). This of course assumes that Scons already has all the rules it
needs to build the program.

What I need to a tutorial for how to build a program where it is not assumed
that Scons already has all the rules it needs because I would like to understand
how to add those rules.

My particular situation is that I would like to use Scons to create and compile
a cython version of an existing python program, where some of the python files
are generated programatically. So I need to know how to write rules like:
generatedFile1.py: sourceFile1.py
python sourceFile1.py
%.pyx: %.py
ln -s $% $@
%.c: %.pyx
cython $%

Can anybody point me to a tutorial like that?

-Jitterman