[Scons-users] time profile

Philipp Kraus philipp.kraus at flashpixx.de
Sat Jun 8 15:47:34 EDT 2013

Am 08.06.2013 um 21:04 schrieb Jay Damask:

> Philipp Kraus <philipp.kraus <at> flashpixx.de> writes:

>> Hi Jay,

>> Am 08.06.2013 um 20:29 schrieb Jay Damask:

>>> Define a trivial builder, perhaps called TimeStamp, and set the $COM

> string

>>> to something like date +%c (linux).

>> Yes, you're right, but this a OS based solution, it is not very flexible.

> I think a more

>> general solution should be better.

>> IMHO a more Python based solution is more general

>> Phil

> Phil,

> Rather than $COM, use python's time class and call .gmtime() or

> .localtime(). That's sys agnostic.

> I read your question as less about how to obtain a timestamp and more about

> setting up the dependencies in SCons to generate accurate ts records.

> Anyway, my Alias / Depend approach is just one idea. I'm sure there are

> better ones.

> Cheers -Jay

Hi Jay,

thank a lot for your answers, I'm glad about your answers, because I don't have any idea
for doing "profiling" :-)
I'm my case I would like to accumulate the profiling data during the build process, so I'm using
Jenkins for automatification my builds and on each Jenkins call I will push the profiling data
into a database for creating reports of the builds eg which file creates compiler errors, which
time is needed for build a file, etc.
Jenkins run a shell script / batch file so I can read the Scons output and push it into the database,
but IMHO is this a unstructured solution, so a nice feature is, that all statistic reporting is build into

Dirk has write in his message that the spawn function can be overwrite, so this should be a good
starting point. So with a little bit SQL (from http://www.sqlalchemy.org/ ) I should add profiling information
on fly into the database

Thanks for your ideas

Phil