[Scons-users] debugging why scons is not using the cache?

David Roundy roundyd at physics.oregonstate.edu
Mon Aug 5 17:12:04 EDT 2013

When I created a minimal test case, the problem went away, and upon
embarking on a bisection campaign, it turned out that I had a
"env.CacheDir(None)" squirrelled away, which was previously on a different
environment, but got changed to be the same one I used for C++. Changing
that environment made it work again.

Thanks for your help!

David

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>wrote:

> David,

> I haven't used cachedir myself, but I do know it's used fairly widely with

> C/C++ compiles.

> Can you create a small test case which reproduces the problem?

> -Bill

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 11:51 AM, David Roundy <

> roundyd at physics.oregonstate.edu> wrote:

>> No, I didn't try that. However, it just says "building `foo.o' because

>> it doesn't exist."

>> I do have some new information: the cache *does* work, it just isn't

>> working for C++ files. It works fine for haskell files, and a few other

>> types... but most of my code is C++. This rules out the possibility that

>> the cache directory simply is not writable.

>> I have not yet figured out a way to make scons announce when it writes to

>> the cache, or when it fails to find something in the cache. The

>> --cache-debug option seems to only have effect for commands for which the

>> cache works, i.e. it gives extra information for the times when files are

>> retrieved from cache, but not otherwise.

>> David

>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>wrote:

>>> David,

>>> Have you tried: scons --debug=explain ?

>>> I think it may "explain" why things are being built or not

>>> -Bill

>>> Scons-users mailing list

>>> Scons-users at scons.org

>> --