[Scons-users] Questions about building Java code

Dirk Heinrichs dirk.heinrichs at altum.de
Fri Apr 26 06:08:05 EDT 2013

Hi,

I'm doing a little evaluation of Scons as a possible replacement for
Ant. I've setup a small test build containing two .java files and did a
typical build, edit, build cycle. This is what I got:

% scons -Q
/usr/bin/javac -d classes -sourcepath src src/ExtraClass.java src/MainClass.java
% vim src/MainClass.java
% scons -Q
Retrieved `classes/ExtraClass.class' from cache
/usr/bin/javac -d classes -sourcepath src src/ExtraClass.java src/MainClass.java

Two things look strange here:

1) Why is classes/ExtraClass.class retrieved from the cache although its
source file didn't change?
2) Why is anything retrieved from the cache at all when javac
recompiles all the files afterwards?

Thanks...

Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs at altum.de>
Tel: +49 (0)2471 209385 | Mobil: +49 (0)176 34473913
GPG Public Key C2E467BB | Jabber: dirk.heinrichs at altum.de