[Scons-users] Tool exists?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Fri Apr 19 10:20:18 EDT 2013

Right now, this only works for some tools, and only by convention between
related tools. One of my top priorities is to think about revamping how
tools are initialized, including a concept of tool chains
(connected/related tools), which should give a much more robust framework
to do what you're asking for.

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Pawel Tomulik <ptomulik at meil.pw.edu.pl>wrote:

> Hi,

> SCons tools provide exists() methods to verify if preconditions for a

> given tool to be loaded are met (http://scons.org/wiki/**ToolsForFools<http://scons.org/wiki/ToolsForFools>

> ).

> Assume, I'm a developer of a tool X, which depends on tool Y. It's not

> known whether Y is in SCons core (SCons.Tool.Y), installed in

> site_scons/site_tools/ or elsewhere but I know its name. What should

> be then the proper way to check if all conditions for tool Y to be

> loaded are met (to call its exists()) method?

> The goal is to switch between two possiblie configurations of tool X

> (in X.genereate()) depending on existence (availability) of tool Y

> and eventually load automatically Y if it is available.

> Best regards!

> --

> Pawel Tomulik

Gary