[Scons-users] Error in python function Command

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Wed Apr 3 12:26:31 EDT 2013

Hi Elliot,

On 02.04.2013 21:20, Kermin Elliott Fleming wrote:

> Hi,

> I'm attempting to use a python function as a Command-based builder.

> Now, at runtime, I get the following cryptic error:

> scons: done reading SConscript files.

> scons: Building targets ...

> scons: `depends-init' is up to date.

> scons: done building targets.

> ValueError: Cell is empty:

> I have no idea what this means, nor did I have luck googling or

> examining the

> SCons source Action.py. As far as I can tell Action.py is doing some

> dependence calculation and building a closure to be called at runtime in

> _function_contents. I am not sure why it fails because SCons has no

> problem

> with similar python function commands elsewhere in our rather complex

> build

> process, this one seems to choke it.

> Anybody seen this one before?

I haven't encountered this before, but it looks as if SCons is not able
to properly detect that your cut_tree_build is a callable function.
Does it help if you add a "return 0" to the end of the method (as the
MAN page suggests)?
It would also be interesting to see what happens when you run your code
under SCons 2.3.0...some of the core routines changed in the meantime,
so this might account for a difference.