[Scons-users] Honoring the 'SDK shell' settings when using msvc and mssdk tools?

Andrew C. Morrow andrew.c.morrow at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 18:01:37 EDT 2013

Sometimes, the msvc and mssdk tools don't do the right thing for various
reasons. Sometimes, this is because SCons isn't yet aware of the SDK (SCons
2.3.0 doesn't know about Windows SDK 7.1 or 8, for instance).

In these situations, one reasonable approach would perhaps be to run SCons
from within an instance of the 'SDK Shell' that is installed by the SDK,
and which runs the appropriate vcvars or SetEnv.cmd script to configure the
shell environment.

In that setup, I do not want the msvc or mssdk tools to do any searching
for installed VC's or SDKs, since I've already selected one. However, I do
want the tools to make the necessary modifications to CCCOMSTR, etc. to set
up the compile and link settings in the Environment, and to propagate the
appropriate variables from the SDK shell environment to the SCons
Environment.

Is there some way to tell the MSCommon tools to skip the whole 'search'
aspect and to simply propagate the variables that it would normally set,
but with values taken from the invoking shell environment?

Alternatively, is there a way to inject knowledge about new SDKs into the
MSCommon framework without requiring the SCons sources to be edited? The
lack of support for the Windows 7.1 SDK in SCons 2.3.0 is sort of
surprising and frustrating, but if there were a mechanism to inject the
required definition then this would go a long way.

Thanks,
Andrew