[Scons-users] error with gettext (translate) on some systems

Kraus Philipp philipp.kraus at flashpixx.de
Sun Sep 23 16:22:11 EDT 2012

Am 23.09.2012 um 22:06 schrieb Gary Oberbrunner:

> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 6:49 AM, Kraus Philipp

> <philipp.kraus at flashpixx.de> wrote:

>> Hello,

>> I'm using the translate builder for creating translation file. On some

>> systems it works fine, but on other (my Linux) the

>> env = Environment( variables=vars, tools = ["default", "gettext"], BUILDERS

>> = { ... } )

>> creates an error: EnvironmentError No tool named 'gettext' not a Zip file

>> On my OSX gettext / msginit is found and works, on my Linux the error is

>> shown, but gettext and its tools are installed.

>> How can I solve the problem, so the gettext files are found or can I check

>> if the tools exists and modify the env = Environment call, so that no error

>> is occurs

> Where is your gettext executable?

on the system which does not work on the default path "/usr/bin/" (default path)

> Look in Tools/GettextCommon.py to

> see how it looks for gettext; you might need to set env['ENV']['PATH']

> to include your dir if it's in an unusual place.

I can not push the path to env, because the constructor of env creates the error message.
After the constructor call I set the PATH, but I can not construct env, because the if I set

tools = ["default", "gettext"]

the constructor crashs, if I remove it, env is created and I can work with them, but then I can not
call the Translate builder etc

Phil