[Scons-users] Does SCons has an automatic rebuild option ?

Julien Kauffmann julien.kauffmann at freelan.org
Wed Oct 31 04:04:43 EDT 2012

Hi,

I've been using SCons a lot these years and I think it is an amazing
piece of work.

Lately, I had to work on SASS files which are somehow transformed to
CSS files : No problem for SCons of course, as a simple one-liner did
the trick nicely.

Before switching to SASS, I used to have to following worlflow:

- Modify my CSS files directly
- Reload my webpage(s) to check the changes

Which now has become:

- Modify my SASS files
- Call SCons
- Reload my webpages(s) to check the changes

No big deal of course, but I wonder if SCons has an option for
detecting changes automatically on some source files and call "itself"
automatically ?

I couldn't find anything in the man page, but I think this would make
a nice addition.

Something like:

> $ scons --auto-detect-changes my_sass_file.scss

> SCons started in automatic change detection mode.

> Watching the following sources: my_sass_file.scss

> Change detected in my_sass_file.scss: Rebuilding...

> Change detected in my_sass_file.scss: Rebuilding...

And so on, so that the second step of the new workflow can be done
automatically.

It seems there already are Python library that do that:
http://packages.python.org/watchdog/ (and I know for sure Flask does it
as well).

If it is something that you would consider worth of adding, I'd also
volunteer to help implement it.

Thank you.

Julien Kauffmann.