[Scons-users] Out of project tree builds

Evan Driscoll driscoll at cs.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 29 13:36:08 EDT 2012

On 10/29/2012 11:07 AM, Managan, Rob wrote:

> Hi there,

> Personally I like the approach of moving up one directory and then

> building alongside the sources; similar to Luc Bourhis suggestion.

> Project

> Sconstruct

> build1/

> build2/

> src/

> SConscript

> That way I can build for different platforms, opt, debug,…. With one

> Sconstruct file…

FWIW, when someone used to the autotools or Cmake or probably a couple
other tools talk about an out-of-tree build, there may be *no* relation
between the source location and build directory. You always see people
talk about the "./configure && make && make install" sequence, but you
could just as easily have a read-only source tree in /shared/libblah and
then from /tmp run "/shared/libblah/configure && make && make install".
(Everything isn't *quite* as clean as I make it out to be there, but
from what I know, it's close.)

Furthermore, the build script needs to have absolutely no knowledge of
what the build dir will be or what it will be named: to get similar
behavior with SCons, you need to explicitly code up some support,
perhaps looking at the invocation directory, perhaps adding a BUILD_DIR
variable to the command line or something like that. My impression is
that with autoconf and cmake, out-of-tree builds are supported for free.

I personally don't find much need for this sort of thing (and prefer the
fact that SCons makes building multiple variants easier), but I can
imagine that some people would.

Evan